Make your vote-by-mail ballot count!
Follow these simple steps.
Mark your ballot
Use a blue or black ballpoint pen.
Use a single line to connect the head and tail of the arrow that points to your choice.
If you lose your ballot or make a mistake, you may request a new ballot. You can:
Call the Elections Department at 831-454-2060
For a new ballot, email email@example.com
For assistance, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Sign and date the Envelope
Remove the top stub from your ballot by tearing at the perforated line.
Place the ballot in the enclosed return envelope provided.
Write the address where you live in Santa Cruz County on the envelope in the space provided.
Sign your name on the envelope. If you do not sign your envelope, we cannot count your ballot.
If you cannot sign your name, make a mark and have a witness sign on the line provided.
Do not let someone else sign your name for you.
Write the date you signed the envelope.
How to return your vote-by-mail ballot
To be counted your ballot must be postmarked on or before Election Day, June 5 and received by the Elections Department by Friday, June 8. To return your ballot, you can:
Mail your ballot early to be sure it is received on time – Postage is paid. No stamp required!
- OR -
Drop it off at one of the 24-hour drop boxes by 8pm on Election Day
- 701 Ocean St., Santa Cruz, in front of the county building
- 212 Church St., Santa Cruz, public parking lot
- 1 Civic Center Dr., Scotts Valley City Hall parking lot
- 420 Capitola Ave., Capitola City Hall parking lot
- 316 Rodriguez St., Watsonville public parking lot 14
- UC Santa Cruz - Quarry Plaza
- Graham Hill & Mt. Herman Rd., Felton Covered Bridge Park parking lot
- Cabrillo College parking lot R
- OR -
Return it in person before and including Election Day
You may personally drop it off at one of the locations below or you can have a relative or someone who lives with you drop it off.
- County Elections: 701 Ocean St., Room 310 / Mon – Fri, 8am – 5pm / 831-454-2060
- Santa Cruz City Clerk: 809 Center St / Mon – Fri, 8am – noon, 1pm – 5pm / 831-420-5030
- Capitola City Clerk: 420 Capitola Ave. / Mon – Fri, 8am – noon, 1pm – 5pm / 831-475-7300
- Scotts Valley City Clerk: 1 Civic Center Dr. / Mon – Fri, 8am – noon, 1pm – 5pm / 831-446-5602
- Watsonville City Clerk: 275 Main St. / Mon – Fri, 8am – 5pm / 831-768-3040
- OR -
Return it in person on Election Day
You can return it to any polling place in California on Tuesday, June 5, 7am to 8pm. For a list of polling places in Santa Cruz County, go online to www.votescount.com or call 831-454-2060.
Do you want to Vote at the Polls Instead? Or did you lose your ballot?
You may surrender your vote-by-mail ballot at your assigned polling place, and you may then vote a ballot at the polls. If you do not have your ballot to surrender, you may vote a provisional ballot. Your ballot will count once the elections official confirms you did not mail a ballot in as well.